Wednesday, January 13, 2016

[Paul's] {James's} Letter to [2 Timothy] {Seneca}

Introduction

It is obvious that 'Christ Jesus' is an interpolation or insertion.    

That there had been an outburst of persecution among the believers in Rome is also obvious. The religion of these folk had nothing to do with an imaginary Jesus.  It had a Jewish origin among the prophets.  It was routed in the spirit of God indwelling each individual from birth.  I am convinced that the person being addressed was indeed Seneca who went into exile.  

The spirit was thought to have passed down through mothers.  I don't know who Seneca's grand mother and mother were but Seneca certainly wrote about them. The spirit sustained life.  It could be fanned into 'flame'. 

James's theology is heavily coloured by stoic ideas which would undoubtedly have appealed to Seneca.  I think it went further than merely 'appealing', to believing what James taught about the spirit.  The deaths of a number of people were linked to that persecution.  I include the deaths of Nero, his wife Poppea, his mother Agrippina, Seneca, Burrus and Epaphroditus.  I can only think that they were murdered by those opposed to the introduction of a Jewish prophetic religion with its indwelling of the spirit of God.   The historians gave unbelievable, fabricated accounts of their deaths.  This was a persecution of CHRISTIANOS, a latin name found at Pompeii visited by the elite Roman rulers.  The CHRISTIANOS (anointed ones) were in fact called atheists because they didn't worship a physical god like an idol, but worshipped a spirit, as in Acts.  

Chapter 1

1. [Paul} {James}, [an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will] {a herald} of God, according to the promise of [life] {glory} that is in [Christ Jesus] {the spirit}. 

2.To [Timothy] {Seneca}, my dear [son] {brother}: Grace, mercy and peace from God [the Father and Christ Jesus] our Lord.  

3. I thank God, whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a [clear conscience] {spirit of truth}, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. 

4. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. 

5. I have been reminded of your [sincere faith] {spirit of truth}, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. 

6. For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you [through the laying on of my hands]. 

7. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

8. So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of [me] his [prisoner] {spirit}. 

But join with me in suffering for the [gospel] {spirit}, [by] the power of God 

9. who has [saved] {purified} us and called us to a holy life 
[-- not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace].

This [grace} {spirit} was given us [in Christ Jesus] before the beginning of time,

10. but it has now been revealed

[through the appearing of our Saviour, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel]. 

11. And of [the gospel] {the spirit} I was appointed a herald [and an apostle] and a teacher. 

12. That is why I am suffering as I am.  Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.

13. What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, [with faith and love in Christ Jesus]. 

14. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you [-- guard it] with the help of the holy spirit who lives in us.

15. You know that everyone in [Asia] {Rome} has deserted {me}
[, including Phygelus and Hermogenes]. 

16. May the Lord show mercy to [the] {your} household [of Onesiphorus], because [he] {you} [often refreshed me and was] {were} not ashamed of [my chains] {the spirit}. 

17. On the contrary, when [I] {you} [was] {were} in Rome, [he] {you} [searched] {worked} hard for [me] {the Lord}
[ until he found me] .

18. May the Lord grant that [he] {you} will find mercy [from the Lord] on that day! 

 [You know very well in how many ways he helped me in Rome.]